In September of 1875 Prince
Bhanurangsi with the help of 10
other young princes organized
the editorial of a daily
newspaper, the 'Court', later
renamed the 'Official News'.
Initially these papers were picked up or delivered by hand to the subscribers houses every day. Subsequently he printed the newspapers adhesive stamps, he called the 'Stamp Tickets' with perforations so that they could be torn from the sheets individually. They sold for 1 att each. This 'Stamp Ticket' could be called the first local postage stamp of Siam and was the origin of the first local post in Bangkok. These stamps were affixed to the newspaper as well as on any letters carried by the postman as an additional service carried out for the subscribers.
Bhanurangsi's stamp tickets had
2 different designs:
Type 1: The design was copied from the illustration on the top of the first issue of the newspaper. There were several sizes of stamps and the perforations were rather crude. In the middle an oval frame surrounding a portrait of the prince and the words "Rising P" beneath.
Type 2: This was a modified version of Type 1 stamp. The profile was changed and the words "one att" in Thai script were added above the image and the words "Payment for Delivery" beneath and the letters "B" and "P" to either side.
Both types of stamps were
issued in a variety of colors,
light or dark red on yellowish
or creamy paper. Brown or green
on white paper. The stamps were
canceled by signing initials in
black fountain pen ink, hand
stamped with bulls eye design in
black ink, or hand stamped in
black circular design with
Chinese Characters in the
stamps were normally stuck on
the back of the envelopes and
signed by the sender.